History

It was originally known as Calvary Presbyterian Church. The current building was built in 1892.  The name was changed in 1900, the same year the manse was built.  The education building was added in 1928.

The church has had twelve pastors in its 125 year history.  The current pastor, Rev. Pam McShane, also serves Princeton Presbyterian Church in Springfield.

Strong lay leadership has been an important part of church life.  Not only have many strong people of faith served on church boards such as session and deacons, but a major feature of the church life has been gifted teachers, both of adults and of children.

Throughout its life, the church has been an anchor and gathering place for the Rutledge community.  Youth have played volleyball in McCrone Hall and come for Vacation Bible School and Sunday school.  Adults have gathered here for prayer and worship and to work together for the common good.

Service to neighbors has also been important at Chambers.  For many years, the church cooked and served as many as four hundred dinners each Thanksgiving.  Now, generous hands work to care for the homeless, to feed the hungry, and to reach out to neighbors in need of help.